The purpose of tools is to make your life easier.
But it’s common to be seduced by tools thinking they will replace effort.
So, I have ruthlessly narrowed down my tools over time to be as efficient as possible and still get the job done.
Here’s a complete list of the tools I use to run Boyd Marketing (with zero affiliate links) updated for 2019 and a one-liner about each one.
*Tools with asterisks are extra special to me because in most cases I’ve tried numerous substitutes that were not as easy to use and feel these are superior.
- Google Drive All our company’s internal cloud storage
- Gmail All email comms
- Google Calendar Calendar appointments and planning
- *Google Meet Virtual meetings with video.
- *Google Chat Internal team comms, project management
- Google Docs Spreadsheets, presentations, docs, forms etc.
- Google Tasks Personal and professional task lists
- Google Search Almost everything starts with a search
- Google Maps Directions
- Google Tag Manager How I manage all website tracking scripts
- *Google Analytics Preferred website tracking tool
- Google Search Console Deeper insights to website performance, health
- Google Ads Running ads on search, display, Youtube etc.
- Google Keyword Planner Researching keyword volumes and costs
- Google Trends Seeing if keyword demand is growing or shrinking
- Google Pagespeed Insights Assess how fast a site is and get tips to improve
- Google Mobile Friendly Does Google see a site a mobile friendly?
- Google Fonts For pulling cool web safe fonts into websites
- *Google Domains Bah-bye GoDaddy! Seriously, Google domains is the bomb, plus private registration is included, free.
- Google My Business Managing local business map listings/reviews/info
- *Zendesk Sell (formerly Base CRM) Sales and prospect database
Other SEO Tools
- *Ahrefs Backlink analysis and head to head site comparisons
- Moz Local Automate local SEO citiations
- Keyword Tool This online tool show keyword volumes by platform, very cool.
- Spyfu Understand the percentages of SEO & PPC traffic
Social Media Platforms
- Youtube Posting public videos and private videos for clients and employees, learning new things, advertising
- Quora Answering questions I have experience with and reading other peoples answers
- *Pixelbook Laptop Chrome OS all day
- Samsung Galaxy 8 Peronsal phone. I can almost run my entire business from this phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 The company phone. Love the stylus for mobile site team feedback
- Dell Windows Desktop For heavy lifting or testing sites on a larger screen
- Cannon Ink Jet Wireless Printer For printing and scanning random documents like itinerarys, invoices, etc.
- Western Digital MyBook Live Wifi synced external storage device
- PayPal Sending and receiving payments
- *Waveapps Sending invoices and receiving payments
- QBO Tracking revenue and expenses
Photo & Video
- *Gravit This online tool has replaced photoshop for me
- Greenshot Screenshots with annotations
- Filmora Video editing
- *Screencastify Screen and webcam recordings, syncs right to Google Drive and YouTube
- Slack Extended team comms
- Skype Some people prefer skype so I keep it around
- Mailchimp Email list storage, segmentation, automation
- Cyber Ghost Necessary for public wifi and travelling out of the country because some big sites block access from other countries
- *LastPass… Organized password storage and remembering
- Nodework Virtal Machine Our servers where we host all our web assets
- CuteFTP Transferring and maniuplating files on a server
- WordPress Open source web platform
- *Genesis The best WordPress developer framework for web design/development
- SSLS.COM Full range of SSL keys for site data encryption
- ManageWP Management and monitoring for WordPress websites
- Wappalyzer Chrome extension to determine what softwares a site is running
- Tag Assistant Chrome extension for checking analytics issues
- Facebook Pixel Helper Chrome extension for checking facebook pixel issues
- Reverse IP Lookup Seeing how many sites are sharing a web server becuase other sites on the server can negatively affect your site
- Dropbox For when we share files with people outside of our company
- *Airtable This is like excel tables on steroids with awesome filtering capabilities
- Calculator Numbers don’t lie.
Remember, the goal is to keep your tool set as lean and mean as possible!
Is there a tool on my list you’d like to know more about or a tool you can’t live without that I’m not using? Let me know below.